Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Infected: What Happened to Greta Price (3)


three: island-bound for eternity

Five Days Prior to the Infection

"So what do we do to pass the time? Wanna play cards?" David asked me. He seemed to know what I would answer before I ever opened by mouth. He was already walking towards the closet where the Prices kept their games.

"Not Queen of Hearts," I snicker, "you always win."

David comes back with the deck of cards in his hands and sits down across from me. As he opens the pack, the door to the basement swings wide open and Greta stumbles out - her laptop cradled in her hands.

"Ohmygod David, you'll never believe what I found on the net! Hey Charlie!" She barely looks at me, sits right beside her brother. "I thought It would be perfect for your blog!"

"You guys have way too much time on your hands!" I laugh to myself. Greta and David were always tossing theories around and discussing the latest science buzz.

"You don't get it, Charlie, this is really wack. It was filmed in 1979 and the girl in the vid mentions your name," Greta says, looking at me with wide eyes; just waiting for my reaction.

It doesn't come.

"You know how many Charlotte's there must be in the world? Greta -"

"Just watch it!" She shrieks and presses the play button. David and I exchange a glance before the recording begins.

****

The screen was black for several seconds until one single eye came in view. The image cleared up and zoomed out putting in focus the girl that held the digital camcorder. She had straight black hair with a heavy bang that shadowed her eyes. Mascara ran down her right cheek and she had several deep cuts that ran along the leftside of her face.

The camara shook in her hands and she had trouble staying in the frame. Their wasn't much light on her and the background was undistinguishable. Everything was black.

"This is day five, I am in the subway tunnels below Honshu. They have taken over the city-"

Strange noises could be heard in the distance. The fragile Japanese girl turned around quickly and panic gripped her, evident by the steady shaking of the cam. She brought her attention back to the camera and brushed her hair from her face, revealing another gash across her forehead.

"I don't know how much time I have left before I change but whoever finds this has to know that there is a cure. There is a cure. You have to find - Oh God...no!"

The noises that peppered the darkened tunnels were coming closer and closer. The girl held the camera firmly in her hands as she began running down the lenghty tunnels. The small light attached to the camcorder created straight luminous lines as it juggled wildly in it's owners panicked hands. She could be heard screaming and shouting for help even as she stumbled to the ground.

The camera fell a few feet away from her, the light shining directly in her terrified eyes. She tried to grab the camera but it was just out of reach.

"Find CharloooOOOO -"

Something grabbed her foot from the darkness and dragged the Japanese girl out of sight but her screams could be heard from the dark and her suffering was recorded until the batteries died and the light went out.

****

"Charlo? How is that my name?" I asked, confused as to why Greta was so excited to show us that obviously fake video.

"I don't know, it just made me think of you."

Sometimes I forget just how young Greta is, how vulnerable she is to the world. She's fragile. She's so young.

Now

Malory was quite surprised, yet pleased, that Greta had such a compelling memory. Yet her knowledge of the crisis scared her. The little girl knew too much.

"That is very alarming." Malory said, fumbling with something in the back of her pants.

"Why?"

"Because Denton Drake is my father." The red headed woman answered before turning around, turning the gun on little Greta Price. "And he has no idea about what I am doing in his name."

Malory shot three bullets in the ground, just at Greta's feet. The little girl jumped back, shrieking.

"I know you're not saying the whole truth. Now tell me everything or the next bullet will be in your head." Malory spat, her voice unfaltering even when threatening a small child.

"I told you everything I know," Greta said between tears. One more word and she would be sobbing.

"What do you know about the cure, Greta? Does Charlie have it?"

"I don't know."

"Where is it?"

"I said I don't know!" Greta shouted, angry and hurt. Pained.

"Well say hello to your brother, then."

Malory raised the pistol and pulled the trigger without hesitation. She didn't even linger in respect as Greta crumbled to the floor. She sidestepped the body and walked out. Joining the fleeing crowd.

Leaving Greta on Fogo Island forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...