Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Infected: Fogo Island (11)

eleven: leave no prisoners

I'm in the dark. I have the time to think, to ponder. I have time to imagine the horrors that must be happening in the other rooms. I have all the time in the world. And that worries me.

No longer chained to the wall, I wander aimlessly around the tight space, examining every crevice, every crack that lines the mildewed walls. None of them offers me a chance to escape. There is nothing to escape to, I tell myself. Felix must be dead by now, tortured for answers he did not have; only God knows what happened to Greta.

The thought of her brings back a distant memory. I'm playing cards (or was it monopoly) with David; Greta interupts us to watch a documentary - some stupid amateur horror film. I don't remember it being - Did the knob just shake?

I back against the wall, fearful Connor will come in to torture me. Two days I've been in here without water, without food. I fix the door knob but it doesn't rattle anymore. I question my sanity. I go to rub my belly, wondering if the baby is still alive, when the door swings open and Malory comes in.

"Come on, we're leaving." She orders in that too-annoying British accent.

With her arrival comes the sound of blaring sirens. I process what she says and add that to the sound of the alarm; something is wrong on Fogo Island.

"Where's Felix?" I ask, walking towards the door. I stop. "I'm not leaving without him. And Greta."

"Felix is fine, Charlotte. We have to leave, now."

"What is going on? What the fuck is going on?!" I lash out, angry. So fucking angry. "I've done nothing to harm you or your people! All I want is my friends and I want to leave! Why can't you just let us go?"

Malory lingers in the doorframe. For a second I believe she's going to answer me, show me at least a bit of respect. But instead she giggles. If it weren't for the two men behind her, I would have stoned her right where she stood. And enjoyed it.

"You still don't get it, Charlotte. I can't let you go. You might not see it now but you better open your bloody eyes soon, girl. What you left behind, you're so called family - they are out to get you. They brought Aleksandra to you. They appointed Greta as their spy and because of them she is dead. They are the reason the dead walk and they will be the reason behind mankind's extinction if they get to you. You know why?"

My heart flutters. It hasn't skipped a beat since Felix and I enjoyed our first night togheter. I'm afraid of what she is about to say yet deep down I already know what it is. The cure.

"Why?" I managed to say, but it comes out as barely a whisper.

"Because there is something you have that can end this all. Some people will benefit from infecting mankind and then selling a cure at high prices. Some people have a lot to gain."

My eyes grow as hers remain fixed on mine. She shakes her head and orders the men to grab me. I don't resist. I'm too shocked. I have the cure against the walking dead. Its absurd. She's crazy.

They drag me past Malory. The bitch is smiling.

"Better prey they didn't hide the cure inside you." She says and we start walking down the dimly lit corridor as the sirens scream all around us.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...