Wednesday, March 21, 2012

LDRA?


I have not had a musical obsession in yeeeears. Come to think of it, the last artist to make my heart flutter and my ears melt with ecstacy was Alanis Morissette. Yeah like 15 years ago.

It's quite hard to put into words how I feel about Lana Del Rey (real name: Elizabeth Grant). Trust me, I've tried being coherent. Doesn't work.

**Please note you will not find any illegally-downloaded music of hers here. Part of becoming a fan of someone is hunting down their work. However hard it is to find. (I'm lookin' at you Jimmy Necco!!)**


Like a great deal of people, I didn't know about Lana Del Rey until earlier this year, when my cousin texted me to let me know (I) JUST HAVE TO LISTEN TO THIS NEW CHICK. Now, when it comes to music, I don't tend to listen to other peoples suggestions - nothing pretentious, I just know alot of music since I listen to pretty much everything.

So open a new tab, click on youtube link, enter VIDEO GAMES LANA DEL REY.


My world has changed since that search on youtube. Yup, so not the same person. I've become a net junkie, something I never was nor ever thought I'd claim to be. But here I am, searching the net for everything and anything Del Rey; Interviews, Music Vids, Promos, Songs, Stories. I even followed through with my oooold twitter account just to get newer news from the Del Rey herself.

What caught my attention at first was her odd yet seductive look; edgy but not marginal, classy but not typical. I must admit, Video Games did not attract me at all at first. It was a new sound, one I had long forgotten since the times of Portishead and Morcheeba.

When the clip was done and over with, I had to see what else was out there. I haven't stopped since. lol. As I gradually became accustomed to her sultry voice and deep tones, I found myself enjoying her more melodic, personal tunes (see Jump, Queen of the Gas Station, and Trash/Trash Magic/Miss America - she apparently couldn't find a suitable title as the song appears on Youtube under three different titles) rather then her more radio-friendly fares such as Video Games and Born to Die.

This so-called obsession could have passed had I not heard Dark Paradise and Money Hunny. The perfect blend of hip-hop and folk, trip-hop and blues, modern jazz and classic pin-up. This woman has everything and it flows out so naturally.

The lyrics are obviously very personal to Del Rey as many words or phrases come back again and again such as : Chateau Marmont, Daddy, Red Dress, Lipstick, Honey. She has a passion for Old Hollywood glamour and flare, as apparent by her numerous nods to pearls, big hair do's, and stars of that era (Elvis, James Dean).

She has so much love to give and it is so very obvious in how she talks and just generally interacts with fans. We can expect only better from this fresh talent, mainly because she still has a shitload of awesome songs that have yet to be re-released. You see, Lana Del Rey bought back the rights to her previous album and is (allegedly) going to re-release them. *crossing fingers*

I even made a little rap about how anxious I am for Lana Del Rey to release her old songs so we can listen to them freely and hopefully in better quality. You Can Be The Boss, for example, could benefit from a musical facelift!!

Ohmygod! An EP release
I need my L-D-R fix!
Gimme that treat
So I can stop my tricks
and listen to the beat
beat, beat, beat,beat,beat

Lana Del Rey
Beautiful Day
Cigarette Tray
And a Glass of Chardonnay


Oh man. It'll be a while before I ever get tired of Lana Del Rey. I can't remeber how it was before I started listening to her songs at work. All day. Every day.

LDRA? Lana Del Rey Anonymous?


Candles are out,
Eleven's Ink





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...