Tuesday, January 03, 2012

The Infected: End of Part 1 (20)

twenty: the island

Grams loved Newfoundland. She had vacationed there several times in the past with Gramps. She said they had some of the best golf courses. As I stand on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean and stare at Fogo Island several miles away, I can hear Grams soft voice carried in the wind.

"What do you think lies ahead of us, now?" I ask Felix. He's throwing pebbles in the water.

"I don't know. I guess it all depends on what you want to do." He answers casually. He stops throwing pebbles to eat and I join him.

Maybe once we get there they will shower us with food. We'll be able to relax in a warm bath, perhaps. I'm not dilusional, though. I know we have just as many chances of landing in a tribe of cannibals.

"I've been thinking alot about it, Felix. I think one of us should go, and one of us should stay behind. Just in case." I finish my can of peas and open another one.

"I'll go. You should stay behind, you've done so much already, Charlie," he rests his hands on my cheeks and pulls me in, "I think it's time I take a chance." He kisses me and goes back to eating his peas.

The wind smells of saltwater as it brushes past us. I take in this moment for what it's worth. There isn't a zombie in sight and we have the world in front of us. But that island - Fogo Island - it sticks out like a sore thumb. I have a bad feeling that I can't seem to shake away. Something isn't kosher with that place. I seriously question their food source.

"I've watched alot of movies about zombies with David. If there is one thing, one thing, you cannot do, Felix, is play hero. Promise me, please, you won't do anything stupid!" This time I'm the one who holds on to him.

"I promise. If everything seems good, i'll come back for you tomorrow."

"And if you don't come back tomorrow?"

Felix kisses me softly, like no other kiss before. I don't want him to go. I don't want to be alone here.

"I will come back tomorrow." We look each other in the eyes and I see confidence in his. I'm sure he sees a nervous wreck in mine. I can barely hold it togheter. I don't want him to go.

"Don't go. Let's just go back to our original plan. Find a place up North, survive on the animals and burn the wood for warmth. It'll be cozy, Felix. We won't have to worry. Felix, I don't want to be alone." I clutch the back of his winter jacket and bury my face in his neck. I'm crying again.

"Charlie, I want to prove to you that I can keep you safe. So far, nothing says that island isn't safe. I'll go check it out. I promise you I will be back tomorrow regardless of the outcome. I promise you!"

I take a couple of minutes to take it in and then I let go of Felix to look him in the eyes. He raises his hand to my hair and smiles. I knew he'd like the new cut eventually.

"Just come back."

"I will"

We kiss one last time before he walks over to the ferry. The broadcast said that someone would come with a boat everyday at dawn. The sun is just about ready to set. I watch him go and hide behind the bushes.

Tomorrow, everything will change.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...